Smart Girls Recognize When to Stop Getting Into Trouble

Saturday, April 23, 2011 at 1:58 PM
Perhaps starting this blog was a bad idea. After all, it seems that the powers that be were making every effort to stop me from doing it. Or maybe I just can’t handle technology. I mean, for the past two days I haven’t been able to connect to the internet because I had the wire in the phone jack. What is that wire even called? I don’t even know that! Now imagine the disaster that would occur in my attempts to start the blog.
I should probably backtrack a bit and talk about my reasons for starting a blog. I don’t really have any. My “summer” break just started and I realized that I no longer have essays to procrastinate. I also get bored very easily. For a while I did what many typical university age people do: surf the webs, watch TV, have a friend over, and chat online or via texting. But two days in, despite the Doctor Who marathon on the Space channel, I was restless and ready to do something else. This happens often during the summer and for some reason my remedy is always to come up with random projects to fill the time.
Example:

So this blog has turned into one of those projects. Unfortunately, this is the kind of project that requires me to either have mildly interesting things to talk about or do other things that could be “reported” on here. Looks like I need to come up with more projects.
That leads me to starting this whole blog business. Apparently when you start a blog, the first thing you’re asked—at least on this hosting service—is to create a url and a name for the blog. Problem. I didn’t have one. So I went online to get ideas from friends. This process unfortunately took about three hours, since I initially got embroiled in a heated argument over what constitutes a nerd that never got resolved. I may talk about that later. I also came across another difficulty when my friends asked me what my blog would be about. I’m supposed to figure that out?! Sheesh. So many demands. My answer was and continues to be: various discussions on music, Doctor Who, Start Wars, general sci fi, and other esoteric/academic material. Great idea, eh? Maybe I’m crazy, but at least this project isn’t dependent on having a huge number of followers. Eventually one of my pun-tastic friends came online and I had him throw ideas at me until I figured out something I liked. You can see the results.
Following that fiasco, I had to figure out how to format this blog.
...
I spent an hour trying to figure out how to add a tagline and change the font and colour, much less anything else. Then I realized that I could use a template. Then I spent another hour trying to unzip the file, eventually realizing that I had shockingly successfully unzipped the file, but that I was attempting to upload the wrong location. By that point, it was late at night and I needed sleep.  I suppose, now that I’m writing this, I’m going to have to figure out how to format my text. Hopefully not, but if there’s anything I’ve learnt about this process, it’s that it’s not going to cater to my technological abilities.
But it’s done. This blog has been started and I am not going back. Let’s see if it takes me anywhere good. For now, I have the season premiere of Doctor Who to look forward to tonight! I’m desperately hoping that it doesn’t disappoint the hype it has built up; I look forward to hearing what others think about it.

1 Responses to Smart Girls Recognize When to Stop Getting Into Trouble

  1. I like where the tagline is located. It almost makes "The Empire Strikes Bach" like a stealth pun, appearing to be merely a part of the template until you look closely and realize that it is no moon.

Post a Comment